This recipe consists of a red velvet cake as the bottom layer and cheesecake as the top layer.
Red Velvet Cake
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9” springform pan.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring.
- Mix salt and vanilla in buttermilk and add alternately with the flour.
- Mix soda and vinegar separately, and last, folding in. Do not beat after adding soda mixture!
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (or until tester comes out clean).
- Cool cake in pan. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Food Coloring: Purple, red, yellow, light blue, green, orange
- Set all ingredients out early so they will be at room temperature.
- Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process.
- Add the sugar a little at a time and continue beating until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg.
- When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add flour, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add the sour cream and beat well.
- Divide the batter into 6 bowls and color each one: purple, red, yellow, light blue, green, and orange.
- Drop large spoonfuls of colored batters randomly atop the red velvet cake in the springform pan.
- Swirl each layer slightly. Do not swirl too much so the colors will be clearly visible.
- Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes.
- When time is up, prop open oven door and leave in oven for one hour.
- After one hour, remove from oven.
- Let cool enough before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- You can use a box Red Velvet Cake mix. If you do, pour 1/2 of the cake mix into a greased 9 inch springform pan and bake according to the directions on the box for a 9 inch layer cake. Discard extra batter.
Alternate Cheesecake filling recipe:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Food coloring
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, and then add in sour cream. Divide mixture into 5 small bowls and add the colors to each one. Pour batters onto base in the 9 inch springform pan. Bake 35 minutes, until the center is just about set when you jiggle the pan. Allow to cool completely and refrigerate before serving.