When I was going to college, there was a Starbucks on campus. During the winter, I had to have a hot chocolate on the way to class every morning. Now I enjoy the same great taste at home.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- Combine water, cocoa, and sugar in a 16 ounce microwave-safe pitcher (such as a 2 cup glass measuring cup). Microwave the mixture on high for 30 seconds or until hot. Stir well to create chocolate syrup.
- Add milk to the chocolate syrup and microwave the mixture for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until hot.
- Add the vanilla extract and pour drink into a 16 ounce coffee mug.
- Serve with whipped cream on top.
Editor’s Note: I love this recipe, but after using for a few years, I bought a Mr. Coffee Cocoamotion, and I love the froth that it places on the hot chocolate – seems even more like Starbucks now if you ask me. So the way I’ve modified the recipe is that I add water, cocoa, sugar, and milk to my Cocoa machine (quantities adjusted for however many cups I’m making). I still add the vanilla extract at the very end and mix in with a spoon. Of course, we still top our cups with whipped cream.