- 1 cup skim milk
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (6 ounces) shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
- Whisk flour into skim milk in a small saucepan, then place it over medium/low heat.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese, margarine and salt and stir often with a spoon until the cheese begins to melt.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Use a whisk to stir the sauce every couple of minutes so that it becomes smooth and thick.
- While sauce thickens, prepare macaroni by dumping 3/4 cup of uncooked elbow macaroni into rapidly boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes, or until tender, and then strain. (This should be at least 1 3/4 cups of cooked macaroni.)
- When cheese sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, pour pasta into a medium bowl.
- Gently stir in cheese sauce, and then pour mixture into a loaf pan or casserole dish.
- Cover and freeze.
- When you ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake frozen macaroni for 50 to 53 minutes or until cheese begins to brown slightly.
- This is better if you do in fact freeze prior to serving and heat up in the oven.
- Freshly shredded cheese melts much better than pre-shredded cheese.
- Use a whisk to stir the sauce often as it thickens, so that you get a smooth, not lumpy, finished product.
- This can be heated up in the microwave instead of oven.